Saturday, December 5, 2009

Which is better, Cello or Violin?

I am thinking about switching to cello even though i have been playing the violin for 2 years.



Which is better, Cello or Violin?oper



no clue I have never played either but i think violin would be better.



Which is better, Cello or Violin?hollywood theater opera theater



Listen, neither is better than the other. It's ALL about preference. So this really is up to you. I replied to a similar question so I'm going to semi-recycle my response here.



Well, as a cellist, I have to say I'm happy to hear of your interest. And, I would like to tell you that I'm studying violin so that I am more versatile and knowledgeable about string instruments. I would advise you to at least keep violin up. Very very useful. Also, talk to your violin teacher. There is some great repertoire for the violin. You may not want to give it up and replace it with cello. You may want to pursue both.



About the switch:



1) The general physics and ideas about playing string instruments apply: bow pressure, speed, location, amounts of vibrato, knowledge of reading music (you'll need to learn bass and tenor along with treble), musicality...these are the same.



2) There are some major differences. I find that when teaching former or current violinists that their left hand position is utterly wrong for cello. You have to approach that as a novice. Do NOT refer to the violin. There is a lot more stretch in a cellists hand, more playing on the pads of the fingers (NOT the tips unless in thumb and even then its a case by case). Vibrato is most similar to violin arm vibrato, but again, try to learn it as though you were a string novice. You keep the thumb of the left hand on the back of the neck (no pressure!) Then of course, there's thumb position and shifting.



3) For your bow hand there are a lot of similarities. The heaviness of the bow and the aid of gravity are a tad different, but its a lot easier to become accustomed to. You also have a lot more space going between the fingerboard and the bridge! (That's my problem on violin. I keep overshooting...) But again, sound production is a tad different. You really have to approach as a novice.



4) Make sure you really warm up before you practice and make sure you learn about cello specific injuries and how to avoid them. A violinist needs to worry about the shoulder and neck, cellists have different worries. (Just want to make sure you have a safe transition)



In addition, I think you should probably try it out before you make a permanent switch (whilst keeping up the violin I hope). Listen to repertoire, different players. Read about the lives of the people. Think about which YOU love. For me, there was no choice. My elementary school started everyone on violin. I suffered through that year. The second I could I pounced on cello. Now I appreciate violin a lot more to the point where I'm taking lessons. But cello is still my love.



Good luck. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.



~Lisa
I think both are beautiful instruments and they both have their own unique qualities. If you have "seen the light" and realized you want to play cello instead of violin, then go for it. You may want to continue with lessons in violin as well.
They both sound beautiful,



when played right.



Follow your dreams =]



Good Luck
Violin is better than cello for me.
cello is beautiful
it's something Harry would do after puberty

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
live update